httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: SEGV in head
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 18:52:34 GMT
On Fri, 31 May 2002, Greg Stein wrote:

> Ah. It wants to take the rest of the path (after the CGI script; the
> "/~checkout~/..." part), assume it is a URI, and try to translate that into
> a filename. If it is successful, it stores that into PATH_TRANSLATED.
> Wow. What possible utility does that serve?

It allows the script to process the actual file referenced by that URI (as
in PATH_INFO-style) as an "action", basically.  So let's say I have a URI:

/cgi-bin/processit.cgi/foo/bar.html

And processit.cgi reads html files and manipulates them in some way.
processit.cgi needs to know the actual location of /foo/bar.html in the
filesystem.  PATH_TRANSLATED is how it does that.

I've actually used this functionality before, it's quite handy.  :)

--Cliff