httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/support apachectl.in
Date Mon, 27 May 2002 16:08:24 GMT
On 27 May 2002, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> > Looks good.  If we are officially deprecating the non -k options, do
> > we want to warn the user?  ie.
> > echo "Option 'start' is deprecated, use 'apachectl -k start'"
>
> +1 from me

-0.9.  Whoever said we were deprecating them?  I thought the plan was that
apachectl would continue to accept 'start|stop|restart' and would pass
them as 'httpd -k $ARGV' to Apache.  That is what apachectl does
currently.  Yes, you *could* say apachectl -k start with the new code and
it would work (I see no problem with that), but where in there are we
deprecating the old way?  It sounds like just a convenience that -k works,
not that it's the new preferred method.  Getting rid of 'apachectl start'
and friends seems pointless to me, and it will irritate countless admins
to change it after so many years for no reason.

--Cliff