httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/mappers mod_rewrite.c mod_rewrite.h (fwd)
Date Mon, 06 May 2002 16:39:52 GMT
On Mon, 6 May 2002, Tahiry Ramanamampanoharana wrote:

> One thing I don't understand: why make ap_register_rewrite_mapfunc()
> static and then export it as an optional function? Why isn'it directly a
> public function provided by mod_rewrite?

Good question.  The answer is that if you didn't use an optional function
and some other module (or even the core) tried to extend mod_rewrite using
ap_register_rewrite_mapfunc() and mod_rewrite was not loaded, there would
be a link failure (possibly even at runtime if the other module is a DSO).
Using an optional function allows the other module to skip over the
extension gracefully.

Practical example:  consider mod_cgi and mod_include.  mod_include exports
the optional function ap_register_include_handler(), which allows other
modules to extend mod_include with their own SSI tag types.  mod_cgi does
this for the <!--#exec ...--> tag.  If ap_register_include_handler() were
not an optional function, mod_cgi could not be loaded without mod_include
also being loaded, which is clearly not what you'd want, since mod_cgi is
quite functional without the SSI extension it happens to provide.

Make sense?

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com