httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: dbm rewritemaps
Date Mon, 06 May 2002 07:27:50 GMT
On Mon, 6 May 2002, Eli Marmor wrote:

> Do you mean INSTEAD of the "txt:"?

Um, no.  I'm just fixing the "dbm:" flavor.  "int:", "prg:", "rnd:", and
"txt:" would remain.  :)

> (by the way: use the APR-UTIL functions for it, rather than SDBM).

That's what I'm talking about.

> I am also not sure regarding the alternative DBs of SDBM: Either we
> should make apr_dbm an abstraction layer that will support them too
> (may cause licensing problems), or we should ignore them.

It already is such a layer, if I understand what you're saying.  apr_dbm
lets you choose which flavor you want: sdbm, gdbm, or db.  Of the ones it
detects on your system, it picks one as a default in case you just don't
care.  I have all three, and it picks SDBM as the default on my system.

My only concern is that someone will have an existing configuration that
uses RewriteMap ... dbm:... and will have a dbm database that's some other
flavor than the one APR-util picks by default (say, SDBM), and it will
stop working until they change their config to be more specific.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA