httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: Stripping Content-Length headers
Date Sun, 05 May 2002 22:26:53 GMT

> Here's my question: why is C-L filter even getting involved if there
> is a C-L header?  Why shouldn't it just get out of the way if there
> is a C-L already present?  Why do the duplication?  Should we assume
> that any module that changes the content is smart enough to unset it?
> Perhaps we can't do that - a module might change the content but not
> unset C-L?  -- justin

The filter should remain regardless of whether there is a C-L, because we
use that filter to determine exactly how much data was sent through the
filter stack.  That is useful information, and it doesn't hurt performance
in any meaningful way (We are just looping through the brigade).  However,
the filter should be smart enought to leave the C-L alone, unless it is
required.

Ryan

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610