httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/support apachectl.in
Date Mon, 27 May 2002 18:35:20 GMT

On Mon, 27 May 2002, Marc Slemko wrote:
> It seems that the thing named "apachectl" has become something very
> very different from what it was created to be.  The need to set certain
> environment variables before running httpd, and the need for a
> wrapper script that provides standard command line options to start/stop/etc
> processes, allows you to pass in the proper command line options, etc.
> are two quite different things.

OK.  Let's go back to the original problem description:

- httpd can't be launched directly because of environment problems; we
need to do it through a shell script.

- The existing apachectl doesn't work for this because it doesn't allow
things like "httpd -v" to be run.

- It is a bad idea to keep adding more options to apachectl, because it
turns a simple shell script into a complicated program and makes it
confusing for users who need to deal with multiple sets of command line
options.

So it seems what Marc is suggesting is to retain a simple apachectl that
just answers the basic sysv-init type options, and calls a second program
(say, for argument, httpd.sh) that just sets the environment variables and
passes all arguments to httpd.  I believe that this was one of Jeff's
earliest suggestions.  The only problem with it is the proliferation of
silly little shell scripts that users need to figure out.

Anyway, having the "-k" options available is a clear win in any case.  I
have no problem with either of those options for shell scripts.

Joshua.