httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-dist README.html
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 19:21:39 GMT
On Thu, 23 May 2002, Jerry Baker wrote:

> Aaron Bannert wrote:
> > >   +<p>Do not download from www.apache.org.  Please use a mirror site
> > May I suggest that we put this notice in HEADER.html? Otherwise
> > it shows up underneath the links that allow downloads from apache.org
> > directly, which means that many people won't even see the message.
>
> I think another thing to address is that the mirrors are not true
> "mirrors" of the Apache dist site. The have different directory trees
> which may confuse people into just getting it from apache.org.

Jerry: I'm not sure exactly what you mean.  There are only a couple sites
I saw that weren't carrying the whole www.apache.org/dist/ tree.  I'll
kill them the next time I go through the list.

Aaron: You may indeed be right, but I was trying to keep in the spirit of
Will's changes to put an index at the top and the meat at the bottom.

One question is, should we just eliminate the direct links to our download
site and link only to the mirrors?  A problem with this is that smart
people will want to download the KEYS/asc/md5 file directly from
apache.org even if they download the rest from a mirror.  I suppose we
could put those in a different place, but then we are getting complicated,
and I hate complications.

Joshua.