httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: is httpd a valid way to start Apache?
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 15:01:50 GMT
On Thu, 16 May 2002, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> My own opinion is that we leave things exactly as they are today.  If
> you are running the binary by hand, you are taking some responsibility
> for knowing what you are doing.  That means having the environment
> variables setup correctly before you start.
>
> If you don't want that responsibility, use apachectl to run the server.
> Trying to solve this problem any other way just seems like we are asking
> for trouble.

I think that is exactly what this proposal is saying.  But at the same
time it is cleaning up apachectl and adding some useful functionality to
httpd.  As I've said, the current apachectl is over-complicated and the
split between apachectl and httpd is confusing to some people.  This
change would clear that up.

JOshua.