httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: mod_auth_referer
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 20:22:36 GMT
On Wed, 1 May 2002, Rose, Billy wrote:

> Therein lies the beauty of the configure script. IMHO an (average) admin
> would rather add a few simple readable directives as opposed to learning a
> pseudo programming technique in the config file. Not all admins are power
> users, but rather some poor sap that got voted to do the job because nobody
> else has the time, and he/she has to cram to learn the ins-and-outs of
> Apache. Usually they don't even know the proper way to start the server, and
> have to read through the docs to get that far. That is the primary reason
> IIS took so well to the web world. Just click-click-click and the average
> Joe has a site up and running in seconds. Add a few simple directives that
> everyone can read and know what they mean, and those admins with less
> experience can be up in minutes. The configure options allows them to
> include only those options (directives) they want. The SetEnvIf option is
> still there for the power users so they can tweak the server until it talks
> to them in their dreams.

There certainly is some truth to your argument.  (Not the IIS part; that's
bull**** - but the ease of use and simplicity argument in general.)  It is
the same reason we still have mod_alias, rather than just saying
"mod_rewrite can do all that" (which was an argument made at one point
many years ago).  But the fact is, there are already two perfectly good
ways to accomplish what you want: mod_rewrite or mod_setenvif+mod_access.
I can't see how adding a third will add significant value to the server.
What it will add is more code to maintain.

I would, of course, love to see it maintained as a third party module.  I
wish we had a better system for those.  What's going on with
modules.apache.org anyway?

Joshua.