httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: mod_auth_referer
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 19:29:35 GMT
On Wed, 1 May 2002, Rose, Billy wrote:

> Performance, and functional separation. No environment variables are
> created/referenced. It is obvious to a web admin (average Joe) what
> mod_auth_referer does, but not so obvious what SetEnvIf does in relation to
> specific needs. This makes a specific function a component with separation
> of logic from a more general base.

If there is a performance problem with the env variable technique, then
that performance problem should be fixed.  (In particular, it has been
suggested we need a non-regex way of conditionally adding env variables.)
There is nothing inherent in using environment variables that should make
things slow.

I agree that some people would find your technique easier, but I believe
that could be fixed by better docs.  Plus once people learn the env
variable technique, they can use the same thing for a bunch of other
purposes, rather than having to learn new directives each time.

As for functional separation, it is hard to argue that replicating
generalized and flexible functionality with special purpose code leads to
a cleaner program.  You'll notice that by using the general purpose
technique, you can already do all the things you mention your module
lacks: directory-level config, integration with other access controls,
etc.

I won't veto the addition of your module, but I also won't support it.
People around here probably know already I have a bias towards general
purpose directives that allow one set of code to do multiple things,
rather than adding a new directive for each function.  Yes, it can be a
little harder to learn initially.  But once you know it, you are much
better off.

Joshua.