httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Is Apache Proxy Half-Duplex?
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 14:11:01 GMT
At 09:00 AM 5/23/2002, Graham Leggett wrote:
>Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
> > > HTTP v1.1 is a half duplex protocol - this is 100% correct behavior.
> >
> > Where in the spac does it say that?
>
>Half duplex in the sense that a reply follows a request. ie a reply does
>not get sent during a request.

Cannot, Should not, or generally Does not?

POST accept modules might certainly echo...

Headers:...

Banners of the the next page
Accepting Input ... [long pause]
Processing Results ... [long pause]

With the caviats that you can't begin a response body if you potentially
expect to error out on the results, and there are no promises that this will
ever be rendered, but that's not the point.  If you can find in the HTTP spec
where this is disallowed, please point me at it!

>(The 100-continue handling I understand is an exception to this, but I
>think this can be ignored for this example).

And there your argument falls down on it's face.

Two threads is probably not the way to go... Taking a CGI example, we
probably want to poll on all three sources [client body socket read, stdout
and stderr] and both sinks [server response socket write and stdin].

We probably need several accessor bits in the core filter to actually make
this work, where the module wants the server to cooperate in this manner.
It won't be pretty.

Bill