httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-dist HEADER.html
Date Wed, 22 May 2002 21:37:52 GMT
At 03:28 PM 5/22/2002, Joshua wrote:

>On 22 May 2002 wrowe@apache.org wrote:
>
> > wrowe       02/05/22 13:13:08
> >
> >   Modified:    .        HEADER.html
> >   Log:
> >     Attempt to cool off download hell.  Simplify the HEADER to just what
> >     we MUST state up front, so folks will take the time to read it.
>
>Not to discourage you, but I should note that many of our mirrors do not
>display HEADER and README.  And, since we IndexIgnore those files, they
>are totally invisible on some mirrors.  That is one reason for making sure
>the filenames themselves are clear.

Agreed... and all the more reason that README should spell out all of the
notes the user should READ before downloading :-)  HEADER is now a
fairly flat entry.  Perhaps we should duplicate the first h2/p section into
README for that very reason [HTTP Server Source Code Distribution]?

And agreed ... are there any objections to renaming all of the tarball files
in that directory as -src ?  It sure seems like a good decision, I know I
get confused after throwing a dozen downloads into the same project
directory on my machine.  -src is goodness in my book (across the
board, unix and win32 included.)  So for win32 we end up with the
somewhat wordy but extremely clear -win32-build-src.zip

Bill