httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [Patch] Add check for valid file to htpasswd
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 16:29:55 GMT
At 11:02 AM 5/16/2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:
>On Thu, 16 May 2002, Thom May wrote:
>
> > As the topic. My ultimate (ie, next week) aim is to apr-ise htpasswd fully,
> > unless there is a reason this wasn't done originally?
>
>Haven't had a chance to extensively look at this, but two quick comments:
>no tabs please, and yes htpasswd should be APRized.  It hasn't been done
>because nobody got around to it.  Actually Mladen Turk had a big patch for
>this purpose, but it was rather more extensive than some of us thought was
>necessary and never got committed.  If you can find that and trim it down
>a bit, I bet that would be a step in the right direction.

Actually, I didn't realize how crufty htpasswd has really become.

I believe it's worth looking at Mladen's patch on its own merits.  The problem
is that he cleaned up the code and apr'ized it in the same pass, making it
appear to be a much bigger patch than it was.  In fact, his newer code was
considerably more elegant.  However, it was overkill in the 'as a library'
dept.
If we want to add some essential flat file handling stuff in apr/file_io,
fine...
or some more accessors elsewhere, then cool.

Anyway, his code, as I have it from Oct '01 is here; he may have revised it.

Bill