httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Rose, Billy" <wr...@loislaw.com>
Subject RE: mod_auth_referer
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 19:54:19 GMT
Therein lies the beauty of the configure script. IMHO an (average) admin
would rather add a few simple readable directives as opposed to learning a
pseudo programming technique in the config file. Not all admins are power
users, but rather some poor sap that got voted to do the job because nobody
else has the time, and he/she has to cram to learn the ins-and-outs of
Apache. Usually they don't even know the proper way to start the server, and
have to read through the docs to get that far. That is the primary reason
IIS took so well to the web world. Just click-click-click and the average
Joe has a site up and running in seconds. Add a few simple directives that
everyone can read and know what they mean, and those admins with less
experience can be up in minutes. The configure options allows them to
include only those options (directives) they want. The SetEnvIf option is
still there for the power users so they can tweak the server until it talks
to them in their dreams.

Billy Rose
wrose@loislaw.com