httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Is Apache Proxy Half-Duplex?
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 13:00:21 GMT
Zvi Har'El wrote:

> Experimenting with an Apache Proxy,  I noticed that in version 1.3 (the latest
> cvs snapshot) it behaves in a half-duplex fashion. That is, it doesn't read the
> backend server response until it have finished transmitting the client's
> request body.

HTTP v1.1 is a half duplex protocol - this is 100% correct behavior.

> This is pretty annoying, mainly if the request involves a very
> large post (file upload), and the backend sever response, after the headers,
> says "Please wait patiently...". I wonder: are there any intentions to change
> this?

I doubt it. Would have to change HTTP.

> It seems that full-duplex operation requires two threads per proxy, which
> is not how the Apache proxy server works. Is the situation different, or going
> to be different, in Apache 2? Just for reference, the Squid proxy doesn't
> suffer from this deficiency.

Can you explain better exactly what the proxy is doing that you think is
wrong?

There is no way in the HTTP protocol for the server to start responding
before the request is completely uploaded, for obvious reasons. I don't
understand how Squid could be doing this.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street