httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@apache.org>
Subject Re: libexpat
Date Wed, 22 May 2002 18:42:59 GMT
Doug MacEachern wrote:

> httpd links in expat, perl extension links against a different version of
> expat.  both have the same symbol names, and they are not binary
> compatible.  perl extension resolves symbols to the httpd version.
> kaboom.  its been an issue for years with 1.3, you'll find plenty in the
> modperl archives on it.

Speaking of 1.3 expat, I built a 1.3.24 Linux binary on my Mandrake 8.0 laptop
the other day with binbuild.sh.  I was surpised when one of the IBM testers told
me he couldn't bring it up on his SuSE box, because it couldn't find
libexpat.so.0 or some such.

It turns out that my ThinkPad has native expat support installed; the SuSE box
doesn't.  The Configure script prefers the system's expat to our bundled
version.  Makes sense, except for binbuilds where supporting the lowest common
denominator is a winner.  I hacked Configure to bundle our expat and the SuSE
tester was happy.

When I mentioned this to other Apachers around here, I got differing opinions on
what the Right Thing is for a binbuild.  One thought was to disable expat
altogether in 1.3 binbuilds since they don't include mod_dav.  Another thought
was to always bundle expat so that external modules can use it.

I wouldn't mind spending a little time to resolve this if we had a consensus on
what it should do.  Doug and Will's comments make disabling expat in 1.3
binbuilds sound better.

Greg