httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: APLOG_NOERRNO useless
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 15:11:03 GMT
Brian Pane wrote:

> Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>> We never do anything with errno in our logging functions.
>>
>> We can figure out whether or not there is an apr_status_t to deal with
>> by comparing the appropriate parameter with 0/APR_SUCCESS only, with
>> no regard to APLOG_NOERRNO.
>>
>> APLOG_NOERRNO made sense before because errno wasn't an explicit
>> parameter.
>>
>> The only conceivable use is so the caller can pass non-zero for the
>> apr_status_t but turn on the APLOG_NOERRNO flag so that no error
>> information is logged.  No sleep would be lost here over that
>> feature.
>>

> +1

My vote presumes, by the way, that the removal is really
a backward-compatible deprecation:
  * re#define APLOG_NOERRNO to zero for source compatibility
  * mask out the bit that used to be APLOG_NOERRNO within
    ap_log_*error() for binary compatibility, unless other
    changes force an MMN major increment in the same release.

--Brian