httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Marmor <mar...@netmask.it>
Subject Re: dbm rewritemaps
Date Mon, 06 May 2002 07:21:38 GMT
Cliff Woolley wrote:

> I'm converting mod_rewrite to use apr_dbm_* instead of its homegrown
> flavor.

Do you mean INSTEAD of the "txt:"?
I'm afraid that it will break many files, compatibilities, and
existing installations.
In addition, TXT map files are easier for tests, debugging, learning,
etc.
Can't it be done IN ADDITION to "txt:" and not INSTEAD?

>          The only problem I see with it is that it will require a
> configuration change for the user to specify what kind of dbm they want.
> Right now, the RewriteMap is set up as follows:
>
> RewriteMap mymap dbm:/path/to/dbm
>
> I propose to change that as follows: dbm will mean "default", but the user
> can specify "db:", "gdbm:", or "sdbm:" instead of "dbm:" to get a specific
> flavor.

We can't adopt SDBM on one hand (apr_dbm), but default to DBM on the
other hand.
IF there is a default, it should be SDBM (by the way: use the APR-UTIL
functions for it, rather than SDBM).
I don't think that there should be any default. Alternatively, the
default should be "txt:".
I am also not sure regarding the alternative DBs of SDBM: Either we
should make apr_dbm an abstraction layer that will support them too
(may cause licensing problems), or we should ignore them.

But in any case, we can't adopt a format (SDBM) as a standard, and
later - ignore what we already built.

P.S. your initiative is great, and my notes are only regarding the
compatibility with the existing files on one hand, and with the
APR-UTIL library on the other hand.
--
Eli Marmor
marmor@netmask.it