httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Stripping Content-Length headers
Date Sun, 05 May 2002 20:20:17 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> IMHO, proxy is especially good for chunked encoding, because we read
> the proxy and if we use chunks on the output, we can return the data
> sooner than waiting for the entire response to be read before
> writing anything to the network.  -- justin

Sure, but a content-length header and unmodified content provides the
same thing.

Chunked encoding is great when the alternative is no persistent
connections, or queuing up the whole request to get the size.  But we
should be using the content length when we have it available.  I really
don't know why the proxy is stripping it in the first place.  It should
only be stripped if the content is changed by the proxy or one of the
filters.

Anyway, I have no idea how to fix this, so I'll just shut up.

Joshua.