httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Stripping Content-Length headers
Date Sun, 05 May 2002 19:01:08 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

> Just to start, what about HTTP/1.0 clients?

They would just get no content-length. It works, but it's not ideal it
would seem.

> Even for HTTP/1.1 clients,
> it seems chunked encoding should only be used when necessary.  Chunked
> encoding is extra overhead, and removes information that may be valuable
> down-the-line.  We don't send chunked encoding for ordinary static
> content when we are the origin server, do we?

If we already have a content-length, surely we should take advantage of
it if we can? In theory only filters that change content length should
touch the content length.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon