httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: Fields delimiter in new "full" log format
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 14:18:44 GMT
On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 03:50:39PM +0400, Leonid Antonenkov wrote:

> Not the best, but, I think, better than current solution
> is to define long delimiter with rare characters (for example ' |:| ')
>
> Format string will be like this:
> LogFormat "%h |:| %l |:| %u |:| %t |:| %r |:| %>s |:| %b |:| %{Referer}i
> |:| %{User-Agent}i" new_combined

That doesn't avoid the need for escaping. Before the current effort
to properly escape log lines and to be strict about the request line
format (and you also need to be strict about all other request headers),
the only way to reliably log in Apache is to use a newline delimiter
between fields and a double newline between log records, so instead of
one line a log record would be multiple lines. This is more convenient
for software than for humans, though...

I also suggest adding X-Forwarded-For to your full log, to get some
details of proxy forwarding.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
SHANNON: SOUTHERLY 5 TO 7, DECREASING 4 IN EAST. RAIN THEN SHOWERS. MODERATE