httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: is httpd a valid way to start Apache?
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 18:21:04 GMT
On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 02:17:55PM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> If httpd is to be left as-is on Unix (i.e., maybe it works maybe it
> doesn't), then perhaps apachectl needs to be pushed as the way to
> access all httpd functionality.

One thing that I seem to recall is that we've talked about taking
the apachectl functionality and moving it into httpd (the C
program that is - not renaming apachectl as httpd).  So, you can do:

httpd -k start
httpd -k stop
httpd -k graceful

(ISTR that -k was the option in Win32 and for various reasons, we
wanted to use that to indicate the command to run.)

Is there any reason that httpd couldn't read/parse/source envvars
file itself?  That sort of sucks, but perhaps that's a way to
get around this?  -- justin