httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: HEAD broken?
Date Tue, 14 May 2002 07:27:18 GMT
On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 08:08:04PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 10:54:55PM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 May 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> >
> > > Hmm.  We could modify apr-config to always print the la-file even
> > > if it doesn't exist yet.  Can you try this?
> >
> > That fixed it.
>
> Okay, I committed changes to both apr-config and apu-config so
> that they will always print the .la file information.  -- justin

-1 on the two commits.

I don't think that is right. It is entirely possible that the install
location will NOT have the .la file. It might only have .so libs and maybe a
.a lib.

I think the changes should be reverted, or changed as I describe below.

The simple answer is that Cliff had old libraries, and the link line
happened to pick them up first, in preference to the .la file from the local
build directory.

I would say that if location==build, then you can force the .la file. That
would also fix this particular case.

And the definition for --apr-la-file is empty, or the .la file. The doc
specifically states "if available". That is very important when you're
considering an installation that does not include the .la file.

For example, apr-1.0-1.i386.rpm might install *only* the .so file and its
symlinks. apr-devel would install the .a and .la files and the headers.
Thus, it would be quite reasonable and possible that a .la file does not
exist in a particular installation.

Cheers,
-g

--