httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Deamon tools
Date Mon, 13 May 2002 22:04:01 GMT
On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 02:45:12PM -0700, dirkx@covalent.net wrote:

> Hmm - not entirely trivial; it turns out that most unix-es do not take
> kindly to
>
> 	setsid()
>
> when not detached/non-root. So I changed Jos/Michaels patch. See below.
> Anyone any comments ?

Which platforms disallow non-root calls to setsid()? I thought the only
requirement for calling setsid() was that the calling process wasn't
already the leader of a process group. Daemontools ensurs this by forking
and exec()ing the process it is going to manage, meaning that if the
parent was a process group leader than the child is guaranteed to not be.
OTOH, simply calling httpd from the command line (or exec'ing it from
a shell script) will usually mean that the process is the leader of a
new process group, meaning setsid() will fail.

I think we should just fail with an error if the user wished to start
up under daemontools mode (no_detach mode) but somehow started httpd
as a process group leader.

-aaron