httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Eibner <tho...@stderr.net>
Subject Re: Apache History Project - Call for comments
Date Mon, 13 May 2002 03:18:58 GMT
On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 10:47:52PM -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> On Sun, 12 May 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:
>
> > > Well, this is very promising. The first thing we'd really like is a
> > > mailing list. What's the SOP for getting one created? Or is there
> > > something else that needs to happen before that can be done?
> > >
> > > I figure we should get moving while we're motivated, before real life
> > > intrudes.
> >
> > Should we make this part of the Docs project, and then if it starts
> > generating enough traffic it can be moved to its own list?
>
> There are two reasons I did not want this to happen.
>
> First, we want this to be larger than just the httpd project, and want
> other projects to be included even from the start. Of course, the fact
> that this entire discussion has happened on @httpd.apache.org lists does
> not help that argument any.

And it's not closely related to the current development of Apache (Oh
yes it is! But we're putting this into the history-"book").

> Secondly, since I'm a history nut, as I have already illustrated, it
> seeme beneficial to have this discussion happen in an environment
> un-commingled with other stuff, so that it is easy to see which is
> which.

And so we generate too much off topic-ness.

> This seemed to also be Thomas' opinion when we discussed it on IRC a
> little while ago. Perhaps he can chime in - I think he's on this list.

Yes, you pretty much laid my opinion out on the table in your mail :)

> I'm not sure how much traffic this will ever generate, as it is largely
> an effort of archaelogy, not a creative process, per se. (Sounds here
> like I'm waffling a little. Dunno.) We need some forum in which to
> discuss what needs to get done, and have it archived. Apart from that, I
> suppose I'm not terribly concerned.

Traffic is likely to happen in bursts and might get lost in all the other
discussion that goes on here on dev@.
Right now we're still brainstorming on which kind of information we'd like
to see in the history project and it would benefit having a seperate
mailinglist for that.

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer> <http://photos.eibner.dk/>