httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/include ap_mmn.h
Date Tue, 07 May 2002 19:09:05 GMT
On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 05:14:31AM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> On 6 May 2002 jerenkrantz@apache.org wrote:
>
> > jerenkrantz    02/05/06 01:21:10
> >
> >   Modified:    include  ap_mmn.h
> >   Log:
> >   Removing a field in a core structure (r->boundary) merits a MMN bump,
> >   unfortunately.  They got 2 GAs out of the old MMN.

Well, I think that 2.0.36 should have had one, given the API changes that we
made to APR and other parts.

> If people end up objecting to this (I'm sure they will :-P), we *could*
> just leave a dummy field in the middle of the request_rec.  It seems

That would give you binary compat, but not semantic/compilation compat.
Thus, you still need the MMN bump.

> MMN bump, we won't feel too bad about it.  If we get to release time and
> this was the only change, we can consider sticking in a dummy var as a
> *temporary* measure at that time.

People will need to be more rigorous about MMN bumps so that we can see what
other API changes were made.

Note that APR(UTIL) changes will need to be reflected up into Apache's MMN.
I've started a document to describe the APR Group's versioning policy. I'll
post that later this week.

Cheers,
-g

--