httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stripping Content-Length headers
Date Sun, 05 May 2002 20:17:28 GMT
On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 12:54:37PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> It is legal, but not advisable.  It is not better to use chunking than
> it is to use C-L.  C-L works better with HTTP/1.0 downstream and allows
> progress bars to exist on big downloads.  Any filter that does not
> transform the content should not modify the C-L.

The C-L filter has logic that if we are ever passed more than
32000 bytes (4 * AP_MIN_BYTES_TO_WRITE) and we're HTTP/1.1
downstream, we use chunked encoding.  Otherwise, we'll use
C-L.  Or, if a flush bucket is ever sent, we'll use chunked.
This is the way the entire server operates (regardless of
proxy).  -- justin