httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stripping Content-Length headers
Date Sun, 05 May 2002 18:25:53 GMT
On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 08:03:24PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> I understand the Content Length filter is responsible for sorting out
> Content-Length, and that chunked encoding will be enabled should the
> length be uncalculate-able, so it works as it is - but the question is,
> if we already have a content-length, should we not just keep it?

Nah, this allows us flexibility in optimizing the data sent to our
client.  If we can send chunked-encoding, I believe that is a better
than using C-L.  I believe that the RFC allows us to do these sorts
of optimizations.

IIRC, the PR wasn't saying there was a problem with our approach - it
was just that the admin didn't understand that was legal.  -- justin