httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/test mod_bucketeer.c
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 22:17:10 GMT
> > Every bucket can be read.  That is a mandatory function that all
buckets
> > must implement.  If the back-end bucket-type isn't know, the filter
can
> > ALWAYS do a read/apr_bucket_make_heap.
>
> True.  Though we've specified the additional semantics that
> apr_bucket_read() causes the bucket to auto-morph into one that is
> in-memory.  Either way.

I didn't think it _had_ to auto-morph.  My understanding is that the
default buckets do, because we assume the performance will be better if
they do.  That makes sense, because a file_bucket is likely to be read
multiple times, so it makes sense to morph the bucket on the first read,
so that we don't have to go to the disk twice.

Ryan