httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: Stripping Content-Length headers
Date Sun, 05 May 2002 20:39:33 GMT
> From: Justin Erenkrantz [mailto:jerenkrantz@apache.org]
>
> On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 12:54:37PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > It is legal, but not advisable.  It is not better to use chunking
than
> > it is to use C-L.  C-L works better with HTTP/1.0 downstream and
allows
> > progress bars to exist on big downloads.  Any filter that does not
> > transform the content should not modify the C-L.
>
> The C-L filter has logic that if we are ever passed more than
> 32000 bytes (4 * AP_MIN_BYTES_TO_WRITE) and we're HTTP/1.1
> downstream, we use chunked encoding.  Otherwise, we'll use
> C-L.  Or, if a flush bucket is ever sent, we'll use chunked.
> This is the way the entire server operates (regardless of
> proxy).  -- Justin

That is a long-standing bug that most of us have argued against now.  In
the past, we said that the C-L had to be removed, because a filter could
have modified the length.  Now, most of us have said that this is just
plain wrong, and if a filter wants to modify the length, then they
should remove the C-L for us.

Ryan