httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: Is Apache Proxy Half-Duplex?
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 14:59:19 GMT

> "William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:
>
> > >Half duplex in the sense that a reply follows a request. ie a reply does
> > >not get sent during a request.
> >
> > Cannot, Should not, or generally Does not?
> >
> > POST accept modules might certainly echo...
> >
> > Headers:...
> >
> > Banners of the the next page
> > Accepting Input ... [long pause]
> > Processing Results ... [long pause]
> >
> > With the caviats that you can't begin a response body if you potentially
> > expect to error out on the results, and there are no promises that this will
> > ever be rendered, but that's not the point.  If you can find in the HTTP spec
> > where this is disallowed, please point me at it!
>
> Ok, then I've misunderstood this.
>
> The bottom line is that we must be able to read a request and read a
> reply simultaneously using filters. Is this possible?

This is a variation of the problem Aaron and I were interested in with CGI scripts (and
directly related to an open PR against 2.0.36).  Unfortunately, I think filters need some
more work to make this possible. As Will said, we need to be able to poll/select on both
the frontend and backend descriptors and do the right thing. I may be mistaken but I
thought the proxy in 1.3 handled this correctly...

> One point where we need this is in the CONNECT proxy, which needs to
> read bytes from both the foreign server and client simultaneously.

Yep

Bill