httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter J. Cranstone" <cransto...@msn.com>
Subject RE: Mod_deflate
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 12:52:56 GMT
Jobarr,

Try mod_gzip for Apache 2.x

http://www.remotecommunications.com/apache/mod_gzip/archive1.htm

There are still a number of browsers out there that do not support HTTP
1.1 content encoding. They only "safe" thing to do is manually exclude
(filter) them.

As for how mod_deflate does this I'm not sure. It got moved out of
experimental very quickly and I'm not sure how much testing has taken
place.

Regards,

Peter J. Cranstone

-----Original Message-----
From: Jobarr [mailto:jobarr@herzeleid.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 7:25 PM
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Mod_deflate

I have been using mod_gzip with Apache 1.3.x and I would like to
continue to
compress my html, so I am looking into mod_deflate with Apache 2. I
compiled
it myself and it seems to be working (running 2.0.36 on Windows
XP/2000). I
know it is "experimental", but are there any real known problems with it
that would prevent me from using it? Also, with mod_gzip, I had to
manually
exclude some browsers because they could not support the compression
even
though they claimed they could. Is this possible with this module in its
current state or is it needed?

thanks
-Jobarr