httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: connect to listener warning message
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:53:39 GMT
"David Hill" <ddhill@zk3.dec.com> writes:

> > A lookup of :: is supposed to get you in6addr_any :)...  I'll have to
> > look at this further later...  Thanks for showing the jist results...
>
> Sounds like what I was telling them :-) And I added that in6addr_any should
> work regardless of v4 or v6 otherwise us poor programmers would have to
> special case our code. They are sympathetic and are looking into the
> plumbing to see if they can figure out why it does not seem to work. I will
> let you know what they say when they get back to me.

I don't have 100% confidence that I know what is going on.  Here is
what I suspect:

kernel lets us get IPv6 socket
kernel lets us bind to IN6ADDR_ANY (what is your Listen statement?)
kernel won't let us connect to IN6ADDR_ANY (::)

It seems like a Solaris box I was using recently was somehow
configured with IPv6 support except that there were no interfaces with
an IPv6 address, and the same thing happened.

Here is something else to try with jist on the weird machine to
verify:

socket af_inet6
assign s1 lastfd
bind s1 :: 5555
listen s1
socket af_inet6
assign s2 lastfd
connect s2 :: 5555

I suspect that the bind() will work but the connect() will fail.

Then either really disable IPv6 (such that you can't bind to ::) or
really enable IPv6 (make sure loopback has an IPv6 address) and Apache
should work fine.  (lots of assumptions here :) )

I wonder if this machine would be considered "properly configured."  I
wonder how many machines are configured such that this would happen.
I wonder if Apache, when determining at startup if it should try to do
IPv6, should make sure something like the jist scenario above will
actually work (with an ephemeral port, of course) before deciding to
use IPv6.

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...