httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: segfault in core_output_filter
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:27:19 GMT
On 17 Apr 2002, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> Is this so prevalent a problem in third-party modules that we need to
> protect ourself from PRs?  If not, I'd prefer a segfault.

I would, too.  Silently returning APR_SUCCESS seems bad to me; it could
hide problems, plus it might be the case that some hypothetical filter
might consider an empty brigade passed to it to be indicative of failure.
ap_pass_brigade() should not be making the decision.

So:

-0 to a plain old if (!empty) return APR_SUCCESS; in ap_pass_brigade
+0.5 to the same test in core_output_filter
+1 to using AP_DEBUG_ASSERT in ap_pass_brigade instead

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA