httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: is there API 1->2 changes doc?
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 18:09:01 GMT
On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Is there some doc explaining how APIs have changed from 1.3.x to 2.0 to
> make it easier to port things?

Not a very thorough one.  You can get a flavor of how to start from
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/developer/ ... it's almost certainly out
of date by now, but it will at least get you thinking in the right
direction.  Also look through http://apr.apache.org/docs/apr/ and
http://apr.apache.org/docs/apr-util/

> docs/manual/developer/API.html seems to be very outdated.

That document hasn't really been updated from 1.3 at all, so yes, it's
useless.

> I'm trying to figure out most of the things from looking at the existing
> code bases, but such a doc will definitely help.

We all agree, I'm sure (I certainly do).  It's just a matter of someone
finding time to write one.  :(

> Is it possible to create a file with three columns like:
> 1.3_func 2.0_func 2.0_header_file
> -------- -------- ---------------
> (header_file optionally) or would it be too much work?

It's not that it's too much work, it's that it just wouldn't really help
much.  In most cases there's no drop-in replacement--the API (at least as
far as things that moved to APR goes) has changed _substantially_.  The
best bet is to browse the APR documentation... I think you'll find it
quite easy to find the functions you're looking for.  In cases where a
drop-in replacement _is_ still possible by some minor miracle, those were
*supposed* to be listed in ap*_compat.h (which looks quite similar to the
table you listed above, except as #define's).

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA