httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@apache.org>
Subject Re: REQUEST_CHUNKED_DECHUNK question
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 21:20:56 GMT

On Thursday, April 25, 2002, at 03:27  PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 04:39:18PM -0400, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>>> From http_protocol.c...
>>
>> * 1. Call setup_client_block() near the beginning of the request
>>  *    handler. This will set up all the necessary properties, and will
>>  *    return either OK, or an error code. If the latter, the module
>> should
>>  *    return that error code. The second parameter selects the policy to
>>  *    apply if the request message indicates a body, and how a chunked
>>  *    transfer-coding should be interpreted. Choose one of
>>  *
>>  *    REQUEST_NO_BODY          Send 413 error if message has any body
>>  *    REQUEST_CHUNKED_ERROR    Send 411 error if body without
>> Content-Length
>>  *    REQUEST_CHUNKED_DECHUNK  If chunked, remove the chunks for me.
>>  *
>>  *    In order to use the last two options, the caller MUST provide a
>> buffer
>>  *    large enough to hold a chunk-size line, including any extensions.
>>  *
>>
>> Anyone know off the top of their head know what the last sentence really
>> means? In 1.3 and
>> 2.0?

It means that the buffer passed for the later get_client_block calls
must be large enough to handle the chunk-size integer in character form,
since the parser will fail if it has to stop in mid-read of the integer
(not mid-read of the data within the chunk).  I don't know if it still
applies to 2.0.

> FWIW, all of this code is essentially a no-op in 2.0 now since the
> filters handle the chunking transparently.  Right now, there is no
> way to get the chunks without bypassing the filters.  I assume we
> could either setup a flag or the module needs to explicitly remove
> HTTP_IN.  (Indeed, I believe that removing the HTTP_IN filter is
> the best way to go if you want the real body.)  -- justin

Harrumph.  I hate it when features disappear.  The right solution is
for the HTTP_IN filter to obey that parameter, not ignore it.

....Roy