httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marten Lehmann <lehm...@variomedia.de>
Subject mass-hosting and DOCUMENT_ROOT
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:15:13 GMT
Hello,

as far as I know there are 3 ways to realize mass-hosting with apache
(host to path translation):

1. mod_rewrite
2. virtualdocumentroot (mod_vhost_alias)
3. using a mod_perl-handler for URI-translation

At this time I'm using the third way for my webhosting-system. But all
ways have one problem: They can't set DOCUMENT_ROOT for each host, as it
would have been set when the host would appear in httpd.conf as
virtualhost with documentroot-directive.
My idea is to write my own apache-module, that does the host to path
translation and additionally set the DOCUMENT_ROOT variable. But before
I start, I would like to know (because you possibly have more knowledge
about the internal apache-design than me), if it is possible to set this
environment-variable in this phase so it takes effect in the later
content-processing. I tried to set the variable inside my
mod_perl-handler, but when the script I called through http was
executed, the standard-document-root appeared again.

Regards
Marten Lehmann