httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Can't force http 1.0
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:11:24 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:

>>SetEnv force-response-1.0
>>
>>According to the docs here:
>>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/env.html#special
>>The point of that was to deal with silly proxies that belched when they
>>saw "HTTP/1.1" (regardless of the actual protocol version of the
>>response).

> Really? I don't intuit that from the doc though you may be right. The behaviour being
> observed is how 1.3 has been working for years (pretty sure anyway) and to the best of
my
> knowledge, it is not breaking anything.  Would be interested in knowing what exactly
is
> breaking with this PR.

I guess I'm reading that in the context of
http://httpd.apache.org/info/aol-http.html
and I'm also asking the question "What does force-response-1.0 do that
downgrade-1.0 doesn't do?"

And, indeed, I can get
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:06:14 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.20-dev (Unix)
Connection: close

out of an old Apache 1.3 I have hanging around.  (Unfortunately, I don't
have a unix box with 2.0 right now, so I can't answer Will's original
question.)

But I agree, I don't see any need for that functionality in the modern
world, so perhaps it should just be removed.

Joshua.