httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <brian.p...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: Performance comparison for worker, leader/follower, and threadpool MPMs
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2002 02:28:40 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

>Also, while I'm not terribly sure how valuable this might be to you,
>I think it might be good to see how prefork compares on this same
>test.  After all, it is our default MPM and will be until we can
>prove to people (esp. committers) how much better threading can
>be.  -- justin

Here are the prefork numbers...

Based on all this data, I think leader/follower is the best candidate
for the next-generation Unix MPM.  I'm going to refocus my efforts on
turning leader/follower into production-quality code.

--Brian

httpd listening on one port:
               Requests/  Mean request  CPU     CPU
  MPM           second     time (ms)    load    utilization
Threadpool        854      55.5         4.8     52%
Leader/follower   957      39.5         6.8     72%
Worker            892      31.4         7.0     70%
Prefork           899      32.9         7.3     76%

httpd listening on two ports:
               Requests/  Mean request  CPU     CPU
  MPM           second     time (ms)    load    utilization
Threadpool         848      54.5         4.8     53%
Leader/follower    814      58.4         4.5     51%
Worker             881      47.7         5.1     59%
Prefork            760      62.9         3.7     43%