httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: slow apache 2.0
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 16:37:20 GMT
Nick De Decker wrote:

>Hello again,
>
>I was just getting frustrated after days of testing.
>
>Hardware : Amd duron 1000, 512 mb scdram (133 mhz) udma100 disk.
>Running trustix secure linux 1.5. kernel 2.4.18 (however tests are the same
>with 2.2 kernels and 2.4.17)
>
>Yesterday i tested with mpm=worker settings:
>I've used default worker settings, then changed each and overy one of them
>but the problem remains : when the number of concurrent users exceeds
>(ThreadsPerChild +1) the number of requests per second drops drastically.
>(when concurrent users < ThreadsPerChild i get 1000 requests per second, if
>higher only 50 requests :(

If you're willing to do some more data collection, the
next step that I recommend is to collect a system call
trace for oth 1.3 and 2.0 (with the prefork MPM for the
latter):

strace -o [output file] -p [pid of one httpd child process]

and run "ab -n1 -c1 [your test URL]" and post the output for
1.3 and 2.0.

Thanks,
--Brian