httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: proxy doesn't dechunk in 1.3.24
Date Sat, 06 Apr 2002 01:35:10 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Yes, Martin noted this as well. because of this, and the
> Server header fixes, I'd like to see 1.3.25 in relatively short
> order once we find out why. From what I can see, we explicitely
> *remove* Transfer-Encoding, so I've no idea how it's getting
> back in there... yet...

I have been investigating this bug - there are two parts to it.

The first problem is that hop-by-hop headers are not being stripped from
a backend response, as required by RFC2616. As a result of this, if the
backend server sent a chunked response, this gets passed to the
frontend, it triggers ap_set_keepalive() to turn on chunking by mistake
which results in chunking the chunked data.

Removing hop-by-hop headers partially fixes this problem - we no longer
get chunked chunked data, we get chunked data instead.

This then reveals the second part of the bug. It was assumed that buff.c
would handle dechunking of an incoming response - this turns out not to
be the case. The required fix is to modify ap_proxy_send_fb() so that it
understands how to read a chunked response, and how to dechunk that
response correctly. This will get rid of the second "chunked" layer.

Busy working on a fix, after I have had some sleep :)

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street