httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: mass-hosting and DOCUMENT_ROOT
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:50:02 GMT
On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 06:15:13PM +0200, Marten Lehmann wrote:

> My idea is to write my own apache-module, that does the host to path
> translation and additionally set the DOCUMENT_ROOT variable. But before
> I start, I would like to know (because you possibly have more knowledge
> about the internal apache-design than me), if it is possible to set this
> environment-variable in this phase so it takes effect in the later
> content-processing. I tried to set the variable inside my
> mod_perl-handler, but when the script I called through http was
> executed, the standard-document-root appeared again.

This won't work because your setting will be overriden by the server's
core module. You have to either (1) tell your users not to use the
DOCUMENT_ROOT variable because it's a non-standard extension whose
value is often wrong; (2) do a quick-and-dirty hack to the core for
your installation; (3) fix it properly so that environment handling is
federated rather than under the core's control.

Tony.