httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:42:44 GMT
On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 01:35:48PM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> I don't see what the big deal is.  The compiler produces code that is just
> as incompatible [assuming we got the configure checks right in APR].  For
> instance, you wouldn't expect to run an i686 binary on an i386, even if
> the i686 were for an older version of the OS.  Whether that binary uses
> atomics or not, it doesn't matter: it's for a newer version of the
> architecture.  Same thing here.

Not exactly. Linux binaries are versioned by their chip generation,
while solaris binaries are typically expected to work on that and forward
generations of the OS. One would not expect to be able to run an i686
binary on an i386, but one *would* expect to run Solaris 5.6 binaries
on Solaris 5.7. This was not the case before the atomics code.

-aaron