httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Linux atomic ops was Re: Leader fails to compile
Date Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:25:30 GMT
On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 01:11:33PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 01:05:54PM -0700, Brian Pane wrote:
> > The problem only appears in leader/follower because it's the only MPM
> > that currently uses apr_atomic.h.
> >
> > I think this is one more reason to stop using <asm/system.h> in apr_atomic.h
>
> Perhaps, but we're going to lose cross-platform atomic support
> for Linux.   That stinks.  They've already done the grunt work
> to support this, but it doesn't seem like we will be able to take
> advantage of it in userspace.  -- justin

I don't think you have cross-platform atomic support for Linux anyway: a
quick look at the ARM, SPARC and MIPS ports shows that asm/atomic.h is
protected by #ifdef __KERNEL__, so I suspect APR will be broken on those
platforms too.  (Not to mention that the header is GPL'd, and it's not
necessarily SMP-safe, and ...)

joe