httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MPM as DSO?
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:41:21 GMT
On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 10:17:38AM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/417/2000/2/200/3308893/
>
> This has been the historic reason for not doing it.

Since APR is handling the abstraction of threads and it is always
providing the ability to call the OS's threads (only not when
--disable-threads or the OS doesn't support it), I just don't see
Dean's reasoning as being valid given our current code base.  We'd
always be thread-safe/thread-aware even if our MPM doesn't support
it as long as APR does support threads.

If an MPM were not to use APR's thread abstractions, then perhaps I
see his point.  And, I believe that was his initial rationale for
MPMs - ability to do platform dependent code (in spite of APR).  But,
given our MPMs, it seems that this doesn't need to be the case.

Obviously, for Win32, BeOS, and Netware, this isn't a win.  But, for
Unix it might be.  And, binbuilds especially.  -- justin