httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MPM as DSO?
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:12:00 GMT
On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 01:09:14PM -0400, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> You will be seriously hosed if you try running a server compiled for prefork with a
> threaded MPM.  A prefork compile does not link in thread safe libraries.  Don't know
what
> kind of problems you could run into running prefork with threadsafe libraries (other
than
> performance degradation).

IIRC, APR makes the determination to pull in the thread-safe libraries.
APR will always pull in anything required for threads regardless of
the MPM.  So, I believe we're *always* thread-safe.  If you use
--disable-threads, worker MPM won't compile.

This is a pet peeve of mine - if you are running prefork, you
should always add --disable-threads for another 10-15% performance
improvement.  But, on Solaris, worker squashes prefork.  -- justin