httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Travis <jtra...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: 2.0.35 for Darwin was Re: where to describe critical
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 17:38:11 GMT
On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 09:49:08AM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > From: Jim Jagielski [mailto:jim@jaguNET.com]
> >
> > Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> before).
> > need
> that
> on
> > >
> > > A BIG F**KING +1 ON THE REWRITE... The versioning idea behind it is
> just
> > > way-too-bogus to even be fun! :) And no, I'm not volunteering to do
> it!
> > :)
> > >
> > >     Pier (GNU LibTool is worse than BugZilla)
> > >

> > I recall a get together after one of the ApacheCons... the battle cry
> was
> > 'libtool' must die. First course of action is to determine, exactly,
> what
> > we are using libtool for. I'm sure we'll get a variety of answers. :)
>
> I would HAPPILY contribute to a project to re-write libtool.  IMNSHO, it
> is the absolute worst tool ever created.
>
> Ryan

That's a rather bold statement, considering it is installed on more
computers, and used by far more people & projects than Apache or APR (if
usage is to be considered a measure of non-suckiness.)

Libtool has become a staple in the Unix build world.  This type of
rant only promotes the idea that the ASF && members try to be
'everything to everyone' by themselves and do not play well with others.
I'd suggest we go with Bill's suggestion and keep trying to work with
the libtool team.  The ASF hasn't been very good about dealing with
non-members' patches either.

-- Jon