httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: slow apache 2.0
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:18:59 GMT
On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:47:02PM +0200, Nick De Decker wrote:
> I'm testing apache 2.0 but i'm having trouble with it.
> Benchmarks show very slow results when the number of concurrent users get
> high.
> i tested the prefork/worker settings but nothing seems to help.
> tested with ab :
> ab -n 10000 -c 1000 http://192.168.1.253/index.html (978 bytes page)

Ab is not very good for testing concurrency. Check out flood for
somewhat better concurrency (http://httpd.apache.org/test/flood/).

Also, keep in mind that although you'll see better scalability
with the worker MPM over the "classic" prefork MPM, the biggest
improvement will be in memory requirements. I've run 300+ threads
on my solaris 8 box while only consuming around 20MB.

-aaron