httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject httpd-2.0 policies was Re: ApacheCon scheduling
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 00:33:35 GMT
On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 01:12:30AM +0100, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> "Justin Erenkrantz" <jerenkrantz@apache.org> wrote:
> 
> > Especially now that we went GA on 2.0, we should meet to discuss
> > 2.1 or 3.0...  Waiting until Nov will just suck.  -- justin
> 
> I'm going to get a gun now! :) Before talking about 2.1, I (and I know I'm
> voicing concerns of _a_lot_ of people) would really _love_ to see 2.0 settle
> down for a little while...
> 
> At least for the sake of us poor module-writers :) :) :)

Well, there are a number of issues that I think we'd need to hash
out before thinking about what comes next.  Should we open 2.1
now?  I don't think so.  But, should we in three or four months?
Perhaps - it depends how 2.0 goes.

A much more important question that we need to start thinking
now about is how set are we on this module API?  Are we going to
allow changes to go into 2.0 that require module authors to
modify their code?  I believe I'm pretty dead set against that.
2.0 API is now closed.  If we want to change the API, we need
to do it in a 2.1.  But, I think we need a set policy.  That
requires discussion here on-list.  Hopefully, we can start
that now.  I believe the answer to this question dictates how
soon we open 2.1/3.0.

But, we'd also benefit (IMHO) from a meeting face-to-face where
a majority of our developers can go to.  I'm just curious how
many of our developers would *not* attend ApacheCon Las Vegas
in November.  If we have enough that can't make it, I think it
warrants us considering other options for meeting.  Perhaps
I might be the only one who can't/won't make it.  If so, then
so be it.  -- justin

Mime
View raw message