httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Q: licensing suEXEC modifications under GPL?
Date Sun, 31 Mar 2002 05:14:52 GMT
On Sun, 31 Mar 2002 gs-apache-dev@gluelogic.com wrote:

> GNU Public License and am writing to ask for permission and advice.
> (I am not a lawyer and the gnu.org website indicates that the Apache
> Software License v1.1 is not compatible with the GPL, but does not
> give specific reasons.)

The incompatibility is uni-directional.  Code that's licensed under the
Apache license cannot *contain* code licensed GPL because then the entire
program would become GPL (the GPL is *more* restrictive than the Apache
license).  But the other direction is perfectly fine.  If you read the
Apache license carefully, you'll see that it allows you to license
derivative works under whatever license you like (including a
closed-source one), as long as you follow the terms of the license.

I can't personally give you any "official permission", only the Board can
do that.  But what I'm saying is that as long as you follow the terms of
the license, you shouldn't need any special permission.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA